IC5146 also known as the Cocoon Nebula is a reflection/emission nebula in the constellation Cygnus. IC5146 is a stellar nurservy which is an active star forming region.
There is a dark nebula B168 that surrounds the cluster and forms a tail behind the Cocoon. IC5146 is about 4000 light years away and was first discoverd by Thomas Espin in 1899
This was captured at a quarter moon using an Optolong L-Pro 2" filter. I had to throw out an hour of data because N.I.N.A did not recenter the image after a meridian flip and the target was out of the field of view.Processing Info
I went through the Blink process in PixInishgt and found the best 18 frames. Stacked them using Batch Preprocessing.
The following processes were performed in PixInsight:
- Dynamic Crop
- Dynamic Background Extraction
- Automatic Background Extraction
- Background Neutralization
- Photometric Color Calibration
- Histogram Transformation
- Curves Transformation
- Morphological Transformation
- MultiScale Linear Transform
- HDR Multiscale Transform
Once I found what I liked, I saved the files and went to Photoshop and ran Topaz AI DeNoise. This is an amazing plugin that works like magic.
If anyone is curious here are the full res versions of the images.
Here you can see the area of the sky in Cygnus imaged.
- Telescope: Explore Scientific ED127 Air-Spaced Triplet Apochromatic Refractor
- Camera: ASI071MC Pro
- Guide Scope: Orion ST80
- Guide Camera: ASI290MM Mini. Dithering every image at 1 pixel each time.
- Mount: iOptron CEM60
- Software: NINA for image acquisiton. PixInsight used for stacking and editing. Imported to Photoshop for final touchup and watermarking.
- Other Accessories: AstroZap Dew Heater, Explore Scientific 2" Field Flattner, MoonLite CFL 2.5" Focuser, High Res Stepper Motor, V3 Controller, Pegasus Astro Power Box Advance
- Filters: Optlong L-Pro 2"
- Exposure Time: 1 hour 30 minutes (18 X 300 seconds). Gain 90, -10°C bin 1x1
- Exposure Start: 23:09
- Date: July 14, 2020
- Location: Voorhees State Park, NJ, United States
- GPS Coordinates: Lat. 40.68187, Long. -74.89797
- Temperature: 74°F/23.3°C
- Bortle Dark-Sky Scale: 4
- Astrometry.net job: 3814124
- Avg. Moon age: 23.5 Days
- Avg. Moon phase: 35.78%
- RA center: 21h 53' 24"
- DEC center: +47° 15' 50"
- Orientation: 272.693 degrees
- Field radius: 0.836 degrees
- Magnitude: 7.2
- Resolution: 3720 x 2330